DIY File Cabinet Transformation
When I think of a piece of office furniture that rarely looks pretty, I immediately think of the file cabinet. It is usually some dull metal color & basically a necessary evil for file storage. I knew we would need one for our big office renovation project, but I could not let it become an eyesore in my brand new room! So I decided I would find a cheap one & see if I could pretty it up with some paint (my go-to method for all things hideous). Yall I am so happy with the results & it was super easy!!!
Heres how I transformed this from eyesore to oh la la
~This post may contain affiliate links, take a peek at our privacy & disclosure policy~
- Filing Cabinet (I found mine at a garage sale for $20)
- Spray Paint for cabinet & hardware (I used Rust-oleum deep blue & Krylon metallic gold)
- 4 Table Legs (I found mine at home depot)
- Drill/Drill bit the size of your table legs threaded bolt portion (mine were 5/16 for example)
- Measuring Tape
- Wipe your file cabinet down really well, mine was kind of yucky. Remove the hardware from the front of the drawers & pull out the drawers themselves. I struggled with removing the drawers for 5 minutes before I decided to let YouTube help me out! Most models have little latches on the sides by the rollers you simply pull up & the drawer releases. Mine has a metal clip type thing on the bottom of the drawer, so I had to lift the drawer up then pull it out. Heres a little clip to help you out if you get stuck like me!
- I spray painted all the hardware & feet so they could dry a bit while I was working on the cabinet.
After the drawers are removed flip the cabinet over to mark your holes for the feet. There’s no real trick here, I just measured about an inch in from the sides & made sure all my holes were in line with each other. Also, make sure you will be able to easily screw on the nuts from the inside. Then I used a 5/16 drill bit to drill the holes. ***Normally you would want to go a size lower & tap into your metal, but in this situation that would ruin the threads on the feet.***
- Once the holes were drilled I flipped the cabinet back over & tried to figure out a way to cover the thumb latch. For the life of me, I could not figure out how to detach it so I came up with a two-step process that wasn’t great but hey the job got done! The first thing I tried was taping the thumb switches off so I could spray paint them. This part sorta worked, but some gold did get on the cabinet & I had to sand it down. Then, I had to figure out how to spray paint the rest of the cabinet without getting it on them. I’m going to blame the Alabama heat & lack of food on this next “brilliant” solution. I tried to saran wrap them… Yes, it looks like a mess because it was! You cant always have million dollar ideas though right?! That wouldn’t be fair to everyone else. In hindsight, I should have just painted them blue & been done with it because at the very end I had to use a little sharpie magic to color over a blue spot. If you read my framing in a builder grade mirror post you know this wasn’t the first time a sharpie saved the day!
5. My cabinet is a little longer than the average bear so it took me 2 1/2 cans of spray paint to achieve the look I was going for.
6. Finally, when it was all dry I inserted the feet & attached the nuts to them from the inside. Then, I put all the hardware back on & sweet talked Mr. White into carrying my finished project upstairs to the office!
Ta-Da my beautiful file cabinet!!
I love it but it’s
still not as cute as my helpers…