Installing Laminate Flooring The Easy Way
UPDATE YOUR FLOORING THE BUDGET SAVVY WAY BY INSTALLING LAMINATE FLOORING. ITS SO SIMPLE & EASY TO INSTALL, ITS THE PERFECT WAY TO REFRESH A ROOM WITHOUT SPENDING A FORTUNE
Welcome back to week 2 of our One Room Challenge, nursery edition! This week is where the actual work starts, as Chip Gaines would say, demo week!
For those of you who don’t know, the One Room Challenge is an 8-week room renovation challenge hosted by Better Homes & Gardens. Twice a year, some extremely talented bloggers get together to tackle one room & complete an entire renovation in 8 weeks. It’s stressful but also a whole lotta fun!
Before we ever participated in the One Room Challenge we did a practice run in our office, then our first real challenge was the laundry room makeover, followed by the nursery & our last challenge was our garage!
We always start a room renovation from the ground up, that means goodbye carpet!
- Obviously, step #1 is to rip out your current flooring. In our case, it was this dark carpet.
2. Make sure to pull out any staples that are left behind & sweep the floor.
So much better already right?!
3. Next, its time to measure how much flooring you will need. Measure the length & width of the room, then multiply those two numbers together. That will equal your total square footage.
Oh you didn’t want an awkward photo of me modeling the underlayment while its upside down… my bad ?
4. For laminate flooring, it is important to lay down an underlayment if it is not already attached to your pieces. This is such a simple process just cut it to fit with scissors & lay it across the entire room.
5. After the underlayment is down its time to pick a wall to start laying your laminate. There are a couple of ways to do this but I always start at the wall that is most predominant in the room. If you have shoe molding that should be removed first, this room didn’t have any.
6. For this step, it’s super helpful to have a miter saw. In order for the floor to have a natural flow & not look so uniform, we installed the boards at two different lengths. The first piece is the full board & the second piece has 4 inches cut off.
7. The best part of this flooring is that it simply clicks together with the help of a laminate flooring block & hammer. It was easiest for me to start by clicking it in on top, then hammering it in on the side, but find what works best for you!
Note: You 100% need the block or you will damage the clicking mechanism of the board
8. For cutting angled walls like the one above you can use a miter saw or circular saw. For cuts around molding, I recommend using a jigsaw.
And just keep going & going & going until your room is fabulous & complete! This flooring made such a huge impact on a super budget-savvy price. This space feels so much larger & brighter already.
Any guesses on what task we are taking on next?
- Install New Light Fixture
- Built-In Closet Shelving
- Make Winnie The Pooh Canvas Art
- Book Page Letter Project
- Paint Mural
- Add Swing
- Upcycle Changing Table
- Put Together New Furniture
Well thats quite the list…. Thank God it’s only week two y’all ?
We will be posting sneak peeks & updates on our Instagram stories so be sure to follow along!