How To Remove Popcorn Ceilings The Easy Way
Remove out dated popcorn ceilings the easy way without having to rent any special equipment
Popcorn should only be covered in extra butter & in my lap for Friday movie night…
It should never be on a ceiling!
I understand why builders used to apply it to ceilings but it’s just one of those things I wish never ever existed.
Our farmhouse was chalk full of popcorn when we bought it & room by room we have been making things right!
We Successfully Removed It From:
By now I would say we are basically professionals 😉
I know this process can seem intimidating but I promise it’s really not & can completely transform a room!
Plus it makes the ceilings look so much bigger & cleaner!
Our master bedroom felt cramped, dingy, & dark
Now it feels big, bright, & clean!
Here’s how you can remove your popcorn ceilings too, the easy way!
Depending on if you are keeping your flooring or not you will also need a tarp. We were removing all the carpet anyways so we didn’t bother trying to protect it.
- Start by spraying a portion of your ceiling with water. It shouldn’t be soaked, just damp. We found this sprayer worked the best for us.
2. Next, working in small sections take your scraper & scrape away the damp section of the ceiling. Be careful not to scrape too hard because you want to keep ceiling damage to a minimum.
Scraping at about a 45 degree angle works best.
3. Keep your sections small & workable. You want to only be scraping the damp parts of the ceiling.
4. Make your way around the entire room working from the outside to the inside. After its all scraped off, it should look similar to this.
5. Once the ceilings is completely scraped go back with a hand sander & smooth any rough surfaces. Then, its finally time to paint!
Normally we go with white ceiling paint but for our walk-in closet we got fancy & used Gray Owl by Sherwin Williams
Before: First Walk-Thru
It really doesn’t take very long at all but it is messy! Messy but worth it!
If you are beginning a room renovation I definitely recommend starting with the popcorn ceiling removal because the walls & flooring do get pretty messy.
You can see Eli’s complete big boy room makeover here!
I hope if you were feeling nervous about taking on this project you now feel confident & empowered!
You can do it & it will be so worth it!