Create Built-In Floating Shelves Easily With This Budget Savvy Method
Welcome back y’all to week 4 of this pantry renovation mayhem!
This week has been a busy one! I built the tall pantry storage unit using the same method I used on Eli’s nursery storage unit.
With only two weeks to go, it is definitely time to panic… But on a high note, all the cabinets are built & ready to be sanded & painted.
F YOU ARE NEW HERE, WE ARE TAKING PART IN THIS SEASONS ONE ROOM CHALLENGE. THIS CHALLENGE IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES, A BUNCH OF AMAZING DIY-ERS TAKE ON RENOVATING AN ENTIRE ROOM IN JUST 6 WEEKS!
This week I took on building the upper shelving unit.
I wanted it to look built in & custom but I needed to DIY it the easiest & most budget savvy way possible.
How To Make Easy Floating Shelves For Cheap
- 1 Sheet of MDF
- 1×2 Furring Strips
- 2″ Screws
- Stud Finder
- Start my marking the studs using a stud finder.
2. Next measure the wall & cut 3 furring strips (1) the length of the wall & (2) the width the shelf will be. Mine is 13″ wide.
3. I attached the longest furring strip first & secured it by drilling 2″ wood screws to the studs. Be sure to use a level!
TIP: When you are hanging things on the wall by yourself it’s easiest to pre-drill the screws into the wood first.
4. I followed the same steps for the side pieces.
5. Next I used my table saw to rip the MDF into 3 shelves. If you don’t have a table saw the guys at the hardware store will rip them for you! I attached them with 2″ nails to the furring strips.
6. My favorite hack to make thin shelves look thick is to attach a 2″ board to the front using finishing nails & wood glue.
7. I also connected my 3 shelves with a 2″ piece of MDF running vertically across them.
I am so excited to have the final pantry cabinets built!
Now all that’s left is to fill the nail holes, sand, & paint all the cabinets!
There is still a lot to do before we can call this renovation complete so we better get back to work!
Pantry Renovation To-Do List:
Base Pantry Cabinets Build Floor to Ceiling Shelving Unit Build Upper Pantry Shelves
- Paint Cabinets/Shelving
- Build Spice Rack
- Install Countertop
- Paint Pantry
- Pantry Food Storage Containers/Labels
Don’t forget to check out all the other room renovations taking place for the One Room Challenge!